April is Autism Awareness Month and today is World Autism Awareness Day. Like many of you, autism hits close to home. If you want to show your support to those with autism and those without autism – wear blue today. Wearing blue is a simple way to show support and understanding.
Go a step further if you want and learn more about autism. The more we learn, the more tolerant we can become. Here are a couple of facts that may help you:
- Autism affects 1 in 68 children and mostly boys (1 in 42)
- People with autism do not lack empathy
- Not all people with autism are alike
- We all have the same brain – the brain just functions differently
- Autism does not define the person – it is just a piece of who they are
I encourage you to spread the word and wear blue today!!